Monday, August 25, 2008

Bangkok Gluttony

So Thursday night to Sunday afternoon was spent eating A LOT...and I am not exaggerating. W e had all sorts of varieties of Thai food - green curry, sharks fin, suckling pig, abalone and so on and so forth. I love Thai food and I'm also very happy that I'm no longer in Bangkok, because I was just completely over-eating at every meal.

Food aside, I managed to get my run and swim in. That meant I had to wake up before the entire family (wasn't too hard since everyone slept in on most days) since the moment the whole gang got up, it was off to eat, shop, get a massage and save the world! So although I was half asleep when I got to the gym, I managed to finish a 7k run! Woo Hoo! I'm just 3k away from the target 10k! I quite enjoyed the morning run as well, it feels nice to get the run over with and then have the rest of the day to do my own thing, rather than fit my run in the middle of the day and have to plan everything around it as I do usually. So I guess the plan now is to try to wake up at 6 in the morning and try to get my run in before I head off for work. I guess that means I have to start sleeping earlier than I do now.

I managed to get a swim in the day after my run in the world's stupidest shaped pool. The pool was octagonal in shape and just completely inconducive for swimming. I ended up swimming 50 laps from one corner to the opposite corner, and managed to get a neck ache from constantly trying to lift my head up awkwardly to check I didn't end up in the wrong corner...which I still did, many times. If I ever meet the designer of the octagonal swimming pool, I am so going to whip his ass.

I'm not a big on massages, but after all the running and swimming and the past week's rock climbing session, my shoulders and upper back have been a mess and the Thai massage was so welcomed. My shoulders feel a lot looser now and it's kind of weird not having the permanent ache there. Of course I undid all the benefits of the massage by going off rockclimbing for about an hour the moment I got back home. But, the loose shoulders were nice, if only for a couple of hours. Speaking of rockclimbing, I think I need to get back to it, because well, I just miss it. It's a real bother having to find someone to belay me and all that though, which is why I have only been making very half-hearted attempts to get back into the sport.

Back to the grind again today, so I'm off for spin classes tonight. Hopefully I'll do a lot better than I did last week!

Over weekend
Ran: 7km in 46:37 min
Swam: 1 hour / 50 laps in stupidly shaped pool

No comments: