Monday, January 12, 2009

The Southern Ridges

Early Saturday morning, R and I decided to do a short trek. My sister and my folks had been telling me about the Southern Ridges walk in Singapore and we decided to go check it out. It was actually pretty fun getting out and walking for slightly over 2 hours amidst a whole different bunch of routes. Given that this is Singapore and there's a dearth of rugged nature walks in this part of South East Asia, the routes were mostly on man made paths, but I have to say, they did a fantastic job in the planning of the Southern Ridges route.

R and I started off at Kent Ridge Park and cut through a canopy walk down to Hort Park which I found fascinating (and I'm not even that big a plant person). We did the floral walk (okay, this was very disappointing because there really wasn't anything much to see), followed by the Alexandra Arches (a fancy name for a bridge) and then the highlight of the walk, the Forest Walk. Seriously, a bunch of raised steel walkways raised really high up was just sooooo cool. Next time around though, we're thinking of taking the Earth trail through the forest for variety. The hilltop walk and the Henderson Waves (another name for a crazily high pedestrian bridge) came after the Forest Walk and the entire thing was wrapped up with the Faber and Marang trail.

I forgot to bring my camera and R's camera wasn't charged, so we didn't take any photos, which is a shame because it really was very pretty. Nonetheless, I'm definitely going to do the walk again (R is more ambitious and wants to run it) and will be sure to remember to bring the camera then.

What I did all weekend:
Sleep a lot, walked 6.5k in 2 hours 15 minutes

No comments: