Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sports Massage = Sheer Torture

After the run on Sunday, I took a day off work on Monday and thought I'd head to the sports clinic and get me a sports massage. I had previously bought a package of 6 physiotherapy sessions which I could change to a sports massages so I thought I'd collect on those massages.

It was beyond painful. I can't even begin to describe the pain because it was pain on a very unfamiliar plane. The masseuse kneaded and kneaded at my knots and I spent a good part of the 45 minutes pinching my hand to distract from the pain (didn't work very well), biting into a towel, grimacing and just seeing stars. And I now know that I would make a poor spy. If someone hurt me like the masseuse hurt me, I would have divulged all confidential national secrets. So it's pretty good no one actually does trust me with information like that.

I read that I was supposed to drink lots of water after the session. But I probably ruined all effects of the massage by going for a whole bunch of drinkies. I realise my self-control when it comes to drinks nowadays is more or less zero.

So Tuesday wasn't so happy a day for me because it felt like someone had take a big wooden stick and hit my legs numerous times - I'm pretty sure I'm not that far off in using that analogy. Nonetheless, because I'm so dedicated and devoted to my cause of running 10k under an hour, I decided to do a 5k run home. Wasn't my favourite run. In fact I think I might have done better resting the legs for one more day before hitting the roads. But I was in a bad mood and I needed the run, so run I did - maybe not as fast as I'd run before, and maybe not as graceful (well, in my head I run gracefully), but I felt a lot better for it at the end. There are moments where one just needs a run to get through a bad day.

Totally random note - I'm taking my first drum class tonight and I'm really excited about it. Sometimes, I think the silver lining on the storm cloud of a 'bad mood day' is the spur-of-the-moment things that one chooses to do and would never have bothered to do any other ordinary day.

What I've done so far:
Ran: 4.7k in 37 minutes

No comments: