Monday, October 6, 2008

Run For Hope

I ran for the fight against cancer yesterday and sadly cancer won. But only by a little bit. I didn't run the whole 10k route set out by the organisers (although my watch says I did 10.2k). I did complete it, but I more or less strolled along the last 500m.

It was a terrible, terrible run. In summary:
1. I started off too fast, tried to slow down but never really could
2. was really thirsty throughout the entire run despite stopping at every single water station
3. had a stitch about 3k into the run
4. Felt like throwing up my entire breakfast almost all the way through (point to self, cereal with milk an hour before running doesn't sit so well in my stomach)
5. I effectively ended my run when I thought the finish line was 500m before where it actually was and sprinted all the way only to find I had 500 m more to go

It's kind of upsetting overall I suppose because not only could I not make the 10k set out by the organisers, but I have a particularly soft spot for this run. So not making the 10k feels almost as if I've failed my sister and the darn cancer has won yet again. I suppose I have next year to give it another shot.

Meanwhile, I guess, I've to start learning to run in the mornings, pacing myself properly and gearing up for my run on the 26th. Well, also get the whole feeling of nausea that I picked up at the run out of my system. For some reason, the thought of food now makes me want to throw up and as a foodie, that really, really is depressing.

Run For Hope 2008
Ran 10.21k in 1hr 9 mins (I stopped the watch when I gave up and walked to the end point)

No comments: