Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Not as Far and Not as Fast

I did my long run home from work yesterday. I had plans to run all the way home or die trying, whichever came first. Well, needless to say, 'die trying' occurred about a good 3k before I reached home, so I grabbed a taxi for to go the rest of the way.

The entire run was pretty uneventful on the whole. I stopped a gazillion times because I just happened to hit the lights wrongly each time I got to a traffic junction. I could jog on the spot, but I always feel a bit ridiculous doing that. And don't ask me why, I haven't a clue why I feel so darn self-conscious about jogging on the spot. Anyway, the run was going along quite fine until I got 7k or so. After that everything was uncharted territory and sulk all the rest of the next 2.6k my legs did.

All in all, yesterday I made it almost to 10k but not quite and I missed the 1hr goal completely. But, I did run further than I ever have in my life. It's hard to imagine that it was only a year ago that I dug around my room, found a pair of cross-trainers and thought 'hmm, let's try running, it can't be too hard', ran 1k on the side road from my house, died on reaching the main road, had my shoes fall apart from lack of use on my crawl home; and decide in the end to still give this dang thing a valid shot (well, after buying new shoes of course - it always is about the gear!)

What I did yesterday:
Ran 9.63k in 1hr 10 mins

1 comment:

Steve Stenzel said...

Dang. Sorry for the craptastic run. We all have those days!!