Friday, July 13, 2012

Personal Trainer-less

Ever since I quit my personal trainer, I haven't been doing any weights at all. Zip, nada, zilch. I remember vaguely justifying why I didn't need personal training classes with 'I can go down to the gym to use the weights any time. I don't need to pay someone $100 bucks to tell me how to use weights!' Obviously after I quit my trainer, I also quit going to the gym do anything other than spin classes or shower. It seems if I don't feel $100 poorer, there isn't much motivation to weight train.

After weeks and weeks of telling myself I had to fit a strength training session somewhere in the week and procrastinating; on Wednesday I had the choice of either doing a 5k run or doing calisthenics at home. Neither was very appealing. That probably explained me finding everything under the sun to do before actually deciding that I'd rather just do something in the comfort of air conditioning.

I did a quick 5 minute warm-up on the elliptical then proceeded to do a kind of circuit training of sorts. 10 crunches, 10 side-crunches, 10 girly push-ups, 10 lunges, 10 squats, 10 dips...then I pushed it to 15 on the next set and stayed at 15 for the 3rd set. I was sweating like a pig at the end of it. It wasn't even as if I was doing all this with weights strapped to my arms even, but I was just knackered at the end. And this was barely even a 30 minute work-out in all!

Two days later I still have to lower myself carefully into my seat because my thighs are aching. Actually, everything that could ache is aching. And after swim training last night, everything is aching more than it was yesterday. That being said I haven't ached in a long time, so this actually feels pretty good!

On a side note, a good friend of mine is now cycling Japan. He's putting me to such shame. I want to say I'll do the same someday, but I really doubt it. Everyone makes cycling look easy. It sure as hell doesn't feel that way when I'm in the saddle. And I'm talking flat roads here. He's going up and down mountains and still going on. Nutter!

What I've done:
Tuesday: Swim training
Wednesday: 30 minutes calisthenics
Thursday: Swim training (2.2k total)

No comments: