Friday, February 5, 2010

Back to the Groove

I've let myself get really lazy towards the end of last year and this year I've made my mind up to change that. I've gone for spin classes and I've been turning up for swim training. The problem is though, a part of me is worried that I'm being a bit over-enthusiastic about all this, which will inevitably lead to a burn-out. I know, I know, I don't really train hard enough to even have 'burn-out' as a word in my dictionary, but if I look back on last year, a certain pattern emerges. I started the year off on a bang and was training regularly or somewhat so. I ended the year on a limp and a huge gut. Why? Because I just got bored. My short attention span kicked in and I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

So I'm going to try to tweak my training this year. Instead of planning a run or two every month, I'm going to have a big run that I look to and then take a rest after. Also, I think I'm going to lay off the half marathons until I feel comfortable with the 10k runs. Maybe another adventure race in the middle of the year and then work towards doing sprint distance in a triathlon. That's the aim. Although I'm well aware I might get distracted/bored at the end of the day. We'll see.

Meanwhile, what I've done this week so far:
Tuesday: Swim training for 1 hr
Wednesday: Personal training
Thursday: Swim training for 45 minutes

Going for a short short run today. First in ages. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck !!! =)