Friday, October 12, 2012

The Foot Report

I went to see the podiatrist today and have learned that I have one foot a wee bit shorter than the other, and that I walk funny and have been walking/running funny for a while. That's the short story. The long story involves a lot of walking around, reaching for my toes and standing around while my little toes and big toes were moved around.

Bottom line is, I need custom-made orthotics because I am over-compensating for my feet by walking funny and over-working muscles (or something like that). I also need to stretch my calves and hamstrings twice a day, do an ice bottle massage after each run and I need to either get regular sports massages on my calves or do it myself with the foam roller. Oh joy.

Plus I've got to change my running shoes (which I kind of knew, but didn't think I ran enough lately to justify getting a spanking new pair of runners) which means a trip down to Queensway tomorrow to find a new pair, which he kindly recommended a few.

The good thing that came out of all this is that I've been given a free pass to skip the halfie I signed up for. Woohoo! I can sleep in and not feel bad that I'm being lazy! He did say thought that I should shoot for the trail race later in the month I also signed up for. Which is fine, I like that race anyway.

So now my foot is taped up and he says to run tonight with the tape on. So far I've walked with the tape on and it's dang uncomfortable, and for some reason my heel is starting to ache a little. Not sure how my run is going to go.

All in all, I quite like this guy, aside from being rather good eye-candy, he seems to know his feet. He's the 3rd podiatrist I've seen ever and I felt more informed coming out of the appointment. It could well be that he spins a good tale, but hell if I'm paying that much, at least spin a good tale!

No comments: