Thursday, July 2, 2009

Slow and Steady Does It

After all the failed runs in the past week, I decided to give running a shot again. I've been a running wreck lately and running was just starting to really suck big time. I've never been the kind of runner who experiences a great running high in the middle of my run. On the contrary, I just feel miserable all the way to the end. So what gets me going is really the sense of achievement at the end of the run. With all the incomplete runs, the more-walk-than-run incidents in the past couple of weeks, I was just getting really fed-up with myself and the world, because it really didn't feel like I had achieved anything running related.

Yesterday though...Yesterday the light shone brightly at the end of the tunnel. I started easy - did a little warm-up and a couple of stretches and embarked on a slow run back from the train station. I didn't dash through any lights worrying that they'd change; if they did I'd just hang back and wait. It was essentially a very nice slow plod home and if I can think of any analogy, last night's run was almost similar to someone sticking their toe into a hot bath to check if the temperature's just right. And it turns out, the temperature was just right.

I made it home, slowly and steadily. Of course I was exhausted after the run, but it was a different exhaustion from the previous few runs. I finished the whole distance, and I could have gone further (albeit at a very slow, almost pathetic pace) if I wanted to, and I didn't feel like dying. Most of all, my confidence was back once more and, truth be told, I've missed that good old cocky friend immensely.

What I did last night:
Ran 7k in 57 minutes

No comments: