Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Back in the Pool

I have realised after returning to the UK how lethargic I feel in this country. I forgot how my university days were spent in constant inertia. I think it's the weather here. I have no idea why I find it easier to get out and do something in the heat and humidity of Singapore but in, what most people deem more pleasant temperatures, I just can't seem to find the motivation to leave the house.

Since R and I have moved over to the UK, I've only managed to make it to pilates and even then it was a poor, half-hearted attempt at movement because every reason to get out of going for classes was good enough for me to skip the day's class. I blamed the rain, the cold and a lot of excuses - all ending with 'well I can start tomorrow'.

Finally,  two weeks ago I decided that this laziness had gone on long enough and I went to sign up for a gym. It took me two whole weeks to run out excuses and realise that I was essentially wasting money each day I procrastinated so today I finally made it to the pool in the gym. When I got to the pool (which wasn't even that big to begin with) it was full and I had no idea how the lanes worked. Thankfully I stood around looking confused long enough to apparently mentally will all the people in the slow lane out so I had a whole lane to myself. And how unfit I found myself.

Gone are the days of 1.5k being an average training session. I was completely knackered after 800m. And of that 800m, I spent about half of it warming up and cooling down. And the bulk of the rest of it doing drills. Then I made a stab at interval training. That lasted two whole laps before I gave up. During that time the 20m pool felt way too long on the length back. How on earth did I even do this in a 30m pool before! I was a pathetic mess at the end of the session being both breathless and just physically spent. On a mere 800m swim in the slow lane. Sigh.....well, there's always tomorrow...

Swim: 800m

320m warm up
320m drills (alternate freestyle/breast stroke)
2 x 40m intervals
80m cool down

This is me checking back into this blog trying to claw my way back to fitness. Hopefully it all doesn't just end with today!

No comments: