Thursday, July 31, 2008

In the Beginning

Well, theoretically, this isn't really a beginning, because I have been half heartedly running for the past year. I'd be very enthusiastic for a month and then very unenthusiastic for the next. As such, I haven't actually achieved anything running-wise. I have, however, managed to amass a whole heap of information on running and collected a whole array of running gear. I think I've always been more about the gear than the actual sport. People run for the love of running, I run for the love of the gear. Well, and I kind of like reading Runner's World as well. It makes me feel rather like I'm an athlete...till such point where I actually start running and realise I'm closer to the sloth end.

So anyway, I've decided to actually try setting a goal for myself. It makes life more exciting working towards something (well, my life at least) than just running just for the sake of it. Come 26th October will be the first race I'm ever going for and it's an all-women's race, which to me is racing for beginners. The aim is to make the run in less than an hour which I've been informed me is an unrealistic target after being laughed at. Nonetheless, all this doubt in my abilities, has made me determined to go under the 1 hour mark. Never mind that I've never even run 10k in my entire life, or 9k, or 8k...you get the point. But I'm thinking I've got 13 weeks to go so that should more or less give me time to achieve something...frankly, running the whole 10k would be a great enough achievement.

All in all, I've got a big plan in my head to run at least 3 times a week now and slowly (but surely) build it up to 10k. We'll see how long that lasts. Oh, did I also mention that I have a ridiculously short attention span?

No comments: